Polish Parachute Brigade
SAMODZIELNA POLSKA BRYGADA SPADOCHRONOWA
The Polish Parachute Brigade was formed on 23 September 1941 and was redesignated the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade Group in 1942.
The Brigade was incorporated into the 1st Allied Airborne Army in June 1944, and moved to Lincolnshire.
Under the command of Major-General S F Sosabowksi, it took part in Operation Market (the airborne part of Operation Market Garden) during September 1944, in the attack to seize the vital bridge at Arnhem.
|Order of Battle - Operation Market|
|Brigade HQ||Rock House, Stamford|
|Light Artillery Battery||(Stamford)|
United States 9th Air Force
Personnel of the Polish Parachute Brigade were flown to Arnhem in C-47 transports of the United States 9th Air Force. The Headquarters of the US IX Troop Carrier Command was in Grantham, and the units flying Polish Troops to Arnhem were -
61st Troop Carrier Group
Barkston Heath (Lincolnshire)
314th Troop Carrier Group
The Headquarters of the 1st British Airborne Division (dropped at Arnhem) was also in Lincolnshire, at Fulbeck Hall to the south of Lincoln. United States forces on Operation Market Garden included the 82nd Airborne Division (dropped at Nijmegen) and the 101st Airborne Division (dropped at Eindhoven).
|Polish Air Force Page|
this page last updated 1 January 2011
© HFM Design